Are Bird of Paradise Plants Toxic, Poisonous or Safe?

Though beautiful, this plant is considered toxic to all pets, as well as humans.

The severity of the toxicity is dependent on the plant’s stage of development.

The flower is considered the most poisonous part of the plant.

If you have a curious furry friend that is particularly fond of munching on new plants, it may be best to either select a different plant or place your Bird of paradise somewhere inaccessible to your pet.

What parts of the Bird of paradise are toxic?

The flower of the Bird of paradise contains a toxic element called Tannin, sometimes referred to as tannic acid. It protects the plant from any bacterial, or fungal infections, but will cause great harm to your feline friend if ingested.

Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, and ocular discharge, together with malabsorption of protein.

The leaves

The leaves of the Bird of paradise contain trace levels of hydrogen cyanide, however, if eaten in large quantities, this can be seriously dangerous.

Common side effects include dilated pupils, drowsiness, bright red gums, nausea and vomiting. In cases with a significant amount ingested loss of consciousness may occur and could even prove fatal.


Is a Bird of Paradise Toxic or Poisonous to Dogs? Or Safe?

If you have a bouncy, curious pup, you may want to think twice before adding one of these plants to the family.

The Bird of paradise is considered toxic to ingest and will have negative impacts on your pet’s health.

Take notice if your pet appears to have staggered breathing or is drooling. The acid can cause dehydration, vomiting, and muscle tremors.Biting the plant may cause irritation to the mouth or eyes.

Muscle tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, or the inability to defecate are all red flags and a sign to seek urgent medical care.

Is a Bird of Paradise Toxic or Poisonous to Cats? Or Safe?

The Bird of paradise is considered mildly toxic but could result in death if consumed in large amounts. If you believe your furry friend has taken a nibble on your Bird of paradise, seek medical help from a licensed veterinarian right away. 

Is a Bird of Paradise Toxic or Poisonous when ingested by children? Or Safe?

The Bird of paradise is considered mildly toxic to humans, but this depends on several factors such as the age of the child, which part of the plant, and how much and when it took place. 

If you believe your child has ingested any amount of the plant, seek immediate medical assistance.

The Bird of paradise is toxic to cats, dogs, horses and rabbits.


The recovery and duration it will take for a pet or child to recover will depend on several factors such as how much of the plant was ingested, which part, and how long before receiving medical attention. 


Follow instructions given by a licensed medical professional. Complete all courses of medication prescribed.

Activity should be limited. Food should be kept bland, easily digestible, and fed in small portions.


Follow any instructions given to you by the vet. Reduce your pet’s activity as much as possible. This will allow them to conserve their energy and focus on healing.

You may also want to feed them in small portions as their stomach heals. 

In Conclusion

Where possible, prevent young children and pets from coming into contact with your plant. If you have especially curious pets or young children, consider elevating or purchasing an artificial plant.